Sunday 5 February 2012

Winging It

Peri Peri Stuffed Chicken Wings

    Definitely an inspired morning in the kitchen at Chez Laffin today!  I have recently approached the local butcher to ask him to teach me how to 'pop' chicken wings to make my creations more presentable.  Presentation is something I REALLY struggle with.  After practicing with four kilos of wings, I got a little lazy, only popping off the mini drumstick.  This left me with several tip portions, still attached to the bit with the two bones.  *Please bear with the technical jargon! lol

    I have always wanted to try stuffed wings and so I began to Google techniques and recipes.  There were so many that I couldn't understand why I had never thought to try it before.  After much research, it became apparent that I needed to remove the two bones... this is where it got interesting! I sharpened my knife and began hacking away, first removing the cartlidge and then gently pushing the meat down the bone, finally twisting the bones out.  I was feeling pretty clever at this point... and then.... OUCH!!!! I managed to slice both my thumb and forefinger.  On went the bandaids and I soldiered on... only wounding myself a further three times.  *I highly recommend putting the bandaids on before you start! lol

   I made the stuffing and filled each wing, sealing with a toothpick.  I was careful not to overfill because exploding wings are not really my thing. 


    With "go hard or go home" as one of my mottos I decided to test out another technique.... smoking!  Don't get me wrong, I do have a camp smoker but I have never tried it in the oven.  I popped a roasting pan on the hotplate and used the Russian Exotica Tea (you may substitute with any black tea and spices of choice) and covered with foil.  I lay the wings on a rack under the foil and smoked for another ten minutes.  I turned off the heat and left the wings to sit for a further fifteen minutes.

    To complete this epic entree I dropped each wing into a deep fryer to crisp up the skin.  This only took three or four minutes.  Draining these golden wings on absorbant paper was my token way of decreasing the calorie count.  The wings were served hot and Master R and Miss C were big fans! 

    I am well aware that my kids are spoiled in the culinery department, but I will not be whipping this treat up for a kids party or afternoon tea anytime soon.  This particular delight is heading to my Adults Only recipe collection, as it is rather time consuming with the boning.  That and I only have a limited amount of fingers!




Peri Peri Stuffing

100g Pork Mince
2 Spring Onions, finely sliced
1 tbs YIAH Peri Peri Seasoning
1 tbs Lime Juice
Zest of one lime

Combine all ingredients and insert into wings.

* You may use any combination of spices.  I would recommend garlic, chilli, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil.

I made a simple sauce using coconut cream, spices and lime juice for dipping but you can serve with any sauce you like.

I would like to acknowledge the Food Republic for their inspiration and technical advice regarding boning the chicken.

Until next time... I look forward to receiving your feedback.  Don't forget to tell your friends about me x x





4 comments:

  1. Looks great!
    PS technical term you're looking for is Ballotine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly! I appreciate the tip... and look forward to receiving loads more! There are so many things I need to learn.

      Delete
  2. My mouth is watering and as for the presentation- it looked like you would get in a restaurant! Definately a big thumbs (with band aids) for chez Laffin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sparkles! You are very kind. lol @ bandaid comment. Come back soon!

      Delete